Police Records Technician
Full-Time | Police Records Technician - $3,265- $3,969 per month
3% Cost of Living Adjustment effective July 2018
Generous Benefit Package
First Review of Applications on Tuesday February 6th, 2018
- The most qualified applicants will be invited to attend a written examination as part of this recruitment process. Details to be provided at closing of recruitment.
- This position requires a minimum typing speed of 40 net words per minute.
- A typing certificate from an accredited school or agency must accompany your online employment application in order to be considered (dated no later than one year ago).
- This also applies to internal applicants not currently working a in job classification that requires typing at 40 net words per minute.
- Please note, online typing certificates will NOT be accepted.
- Work a varying schedule including weekends, weekdays, evenings, and holidays.
- Attend training classes to remain current on Police record keeping.
- Receive satisfactory results from a background investigation, a physical examination, which includes a drug screen, and an administrative review (external applicants).
Under general supervision, the incumbents will perform a variety of specialized clerical tasks involving the development, maintenance, retention, transition, and retrieval of Police Department records; provide general clerical support to Department staff; and perform other duties as assigned.
Full-Time Benefits Include:
PERS Retirement, $100,000 Life Insurance, Health Insurance/Benefit Bank/Cash-out @ $1,345 per month (up to $1,195 can be cashed out/deposited into deferred comp), 12 days paid vacation per year (pro-rated), 9 full-day and 2 half-day designated holidays per year, 3 1/2 floating holidays (pro-rated), Bilingual Pay, Tuition Assistance Program, Deferred compensation plan available for voluntary employee contributions, Flexible Spending Plan available for voluntary medical/dependent care expenses.
The Police Records Technician is a specialized clerical classification utilized in the Police Department. Incumbents in this non-sworn position perform assigned tasks with minimal instruction or assistance. The work schedule includes rotating shifts including weekdays, weekends, and holidays. The more experienced Police Records Technicians are expected to assist with the supervision of less experienced staff.
Essential Job Duties:
- Type and otherwise process a wide variety of Police records, reports, and materials, including arrest reports, warrants, citations, crime and traffic reports, fingerprint cards, and vehicle storage and impound forms; operate a variety of automated systems to create or revise computer files; verify that paperwork is complete, correct, and properly signed.
- Assist Department personnel and the public in person and by phone; release requested reports and related information to the public or to outside agencies in accordance with established regulations; provide general information regarding Department policies, procedures, and regulations; issue bicycle licenses and parking permits; process drug, sex, and arson registrants and restraining orders.
- Operate computer terminals and teletype to enter, modify, and retrieve data, such as stolen and recovered property, driver's license and vehicle registration information, warrants, and detective supplements; conduct record checks and research files for requested information; audit files on a monthly basis to maintain appropriate standards.
- Sort, file, copy, and distribute crime and traffic reports, citations, and other records as appropriate; perform file searches to locate missing records; issue permits and licenses according to prescribed procedures.
- Accept bail; receive fees; prepare receipts, standard forms, and records in accordance with established procedures; balance cash drawer and resolve discrepancies; deposit funds with City Hall.
- Assemble, code, record, and summarize a variety of Police record data including data on serious crime offenses, stolen vehicles, crime reports, and related records; compile, compute, and prepare a variety of reports.
- When assigned to court liaison function: maintain daily contact with the District Attorney's Office; establish and maintain a log of subpoenas received; post and update a weekly court schedule to inform Officers of court appearances; track the use of overtime related to court appearances; perform a variety of secretarial related duties.
- When assigned to the Detective Bureau: prepare and assign cases for the in-custodies; correspond with the District Attorney's Office on case filings and dispositions; prepare and compile statistical forms; assist Officers by maintaining files; answer the telephone, take messages or provide routine information; type a variety of correspondence; perform secretarial related functions in support of the Detective Bureau.
- May perform a variety of general clerical tasks, including typing correspondence, bulletins, lists, and standard forms; may sort and distribute mail; may prepare simple reports; may post and tabulate numeric data.
- Attend training classes to remain current on Police record keeping activities.
- Provide temporary and vacation relief for other staff as necessary; in the absence of a female Officer, a female Records Technician may perform matron duties including searching prisoners, collecting urine samples, and supervising individuals in custody; may be temporarily assigned to care for juveniles.
- Interact with co-workers at all levels in the organization in a collaborative and customer service-oriented manner.
- Maintain prompt and regular attendance.
- Perform all duties within the context of the City's Mission Statement and Organizational Values.
Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential job duties of the position is qualifying. Incumbents will possess the most desirable combination of training, skills, and experience, as demonstrated in their past and current employment history. A typical example includes:
Working knowledge of:
Related office methods and procedures.
Office equipment operation.
Principles, codes, regulations, and laws governing Polices records management.
Organization, procedures, and operations of the Police Department.
Data processing systems/applications.
Interpret and apply rules and regulations, procedures, and policies.
Explain and apply policies and procedures.
Prepare a variety of reports and maintain accurate records.
Choose among alternatives to resolve problems.
Perform routine clerical work.
Communicate effectively with a variety of personnel and establish/maintain effective working relationships.
Understand and follow verbal and written directions.
Work efficiently and independently without direct ongoing supervision.
Perform mathematical computations, including adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing accurately.
Operate a variety of office equipment, including a computer, and use a variety of computer software programs.
Type and transcribe dictation.
Use correct English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
Alphabetize or numerically/chronologically sort materials.
- Maintain records and perform specific program activities.
Learn to perform matron related tasks.
Deal tactfully and courteously with internal and external customers.
Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Use good judgment in handling sensitive and/or confidential matters with discretion and maintain the privacy of such information.
CITY ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES:
Partnerships and Teamwork, Integrity, Commitment to Our Customers, Innovation, Open Communication and Fiscal Responsibility.
CITY OF CHINO MISSION STATEMENT:
Together we take pride in providing quality, caring service to our community.
The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the City of Chino is unable to comment on the status of an individual application. Your application will be reviewed and you will be contacted if you are selected to move forward in our hiring process.